Saturday 8 September 2012

Damn and blast!

Well my leeks have been ruined again this year, the damn leek moth must of got in before I covered them. I had planted them in the raised bed this year and not in the vegetable plot and the moth still got at them. I am so disappointed as they were growing so well. 

I pulled them all up and salvaged what I could and made a batch of the much wanted potato and leek soup.

Damaged leek

leeks not spring onions!
I feel that I have wasted a whole year on the garden considering what has actually been harvested. To say it has been a disappointing year would be an understatement. Lets just hope we have better success next year. I am still plotting and planning for next years crops, I have been looking back and the only things that have grown really well the past couple of years have been the beans. They will most certainly be on the growing list!

I have a bit of a dilemma, If you remember earlier on I said that I was unsure what was the melons, pumpkins and squashes. Well what I thought were squashes are either pumpkins or water melons, they start off a light green and then have gone quite dark and they appear more of an oval rather than either like a pumpkin or a butternut squash.

Now what if I pick one and open it up in case it is a melon but is in fact a pumpkin then I have lost my pumpkin. But on the other hand if it is a melon and I leave it in the hope that it is a pumpkin then it will rot before turning and I will lose it. This is what happens when you don't label things properly! I will take a photo of it tomorrow and post it and perhaps one of you may be sure of whether it is a melon, pumpkin or indeed a squash.

Quick update on my quitting smoking, it has been four days so far without a cigarette and today has been the best so far. I must admit I have really struggled the last three days and have been taking myself off to bed rather early to keep out of the way of everyone. I have been quite busy today which really helps.

Jay cooked breakfast then we took the dogs for a swim in the sea then we went and done a big food shop and once we got back I spent a few hours sorting out the menu for the month whilst Jay cooked dinner. I have also done three loads of washing, cleaned out the girls, watered the garden and washed up after dinner.

We are doing a boot sale tomorrow and the weather is looking rather good, hopefully we will get rid of lots of stuff to make some room in the garage that seems to always be full!

Well that is it from me for today. I hope you all have a great weekend, until next time x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for visiting. I'd love to hear your comments and thoughts on anything contained within my blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...