Tuesday 18 September 2012

Wigglywoo's Brewery!


Well what do you know, mum and dad came over today for lunch and look what they had been and got on their walk yesterday, my much wanted sloes. Now all I need is to purchase some gin and away we go. I have popped them into the freezer and they will be perfect for use once I purchase some gin. One very boozy Christmas is on the cards!

As promised here are the recipes from the other day.

Christmas Spice Chutney
1lb elderberries
1lb cooking apples, chopped
1lb onions, chopped (I used red onions but you can use what you prefer)
12oz sugar
1/2 pint red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2  fresh ginger (or dried ground)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
zest of 1 orange
zest of 1 lemon

Place all ingredients into a heavy bottomed pan and simmer for about an hour. Place in warm sterilized jars, label and store. As with all chutneys this taste better after a few months of being made.

For the elderberry syrup I used the recipe from Ashridge Nurseries which you can access from this link http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/blog/elderberry-syrup-recipe/
I did not add the ginger or the cloves from this recipe, I just used fruit, water, sugar and lemon juice. For every pint of juice you add 1lb of sugar and the juice of a lemon. This will keep for ages, put in to airtight bottles and store in a cool dark place. Once the bottle is opened keep refrigerated and will last about 3 weeks (it will be gone before then!)

To make the liqueur I just put the desired fruit into a wide necked jar/bottle fill it about a 1/4 with fruit add the same amount of sugar then fill up with desired alcohol. The jars I use are 1.5 ltrs. Store in a cool dark place and be sure to turn or shake the bottle everyday and in about 3 months it should be ready to decant into your desired bottles.

Right I have several bottles/jars that need turning. Until next time x








No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for visiting. I'd love to hear your comments and thoughts on anything contained within my blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...