This is a Pampered Chef recipe, not sure if the ingredients I have stated is the original recipe as I make it from memory, but this is how I have been making it.
Short crust pastry
8oz plain flour
pinch of salt
water to bind
- Add salt to flour,
- rub fat into flour to form breadcrumbs.
- Add enough water to form a dough
- Cut in two and roll out each piece the size of a dinner plate.
- You can use shop bought or your own recipe
For the filling
500g lean minced beef (no horse here!)
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 gherkins chopped
1 dessert spoon tomato ketchup
1 dessert spoon American or English mustard
6 cheese slices
- Brown the minced beef in a pan, drain off any fat or fluid, put in a mixing bowl
- add the onion, gherkins, sauce and mustard
- mix it altogether
- place one of the pastry found on a baking stone or tray
- spread the filling out on one of the pastry rounds, leaving a 1 inch gap around the perimeter
- lay the cheese slices on top of the filling
- baste the edges with either egg or milk
- Put three slits in the other piece of pastry and they pop it on top of the other piece, firming the edges
- baste the pie and bake in the oven gas 6, 400*f/204*c for 35 - 40 minutes or until pastry golden
We have this with either mashed potato and baked beans or chips!
Right must dash as lots to do. I will be posting the birthday celebration competition tomorrow. Thank you all for the kind wishes. Until next time x