Friday 20 April 2012

Oh a little bit of sunshine!

I woke up to a glorious sunny day, it was so nice to see the sun and feel the warmth, even if it was only for a little while. I took the dogs for a walk it was rather muddy and breezy but great to feel the sun on my face.

I have had a few hours in the garden. I finally managed to get the flowerbed done. I planted three Dahlia tubers in the center and in two of the corners I scattered some Viscaria, patio mixed flowers. These look great in any borders and look fantastic planted in groups. These are a dainty little flower of mixed color. In the other two corners I sowed some Larkspur, Cloudy skies mixed. Again these are a great border filler and look great planted out in drifts or groups. Along the sides I scattered a mixture of Cornflower, snowman, which makes an ideal cut flower. Nigella, Persian jewel mixed. Which will give bursts of color and finally Poppy Cherry glow. Hopefully if all grows well it will make an attractive feature in the garden.

I weeded the veg plot and took the last bit of covering of the broad beans. These have been out all winter and thrived in the snow, wind, hail and rain so I'm sure they will be alright. I have sown some more in pots just in case. I had a look at the peas and there were only five plants left out of the fifty that I had sown in November. I planted out the ones that were ready to go out and will put some fleece on them later today.

I potted up some more Nasturtiums and the Sweet peas I planted out earlier in the week have grown an inch! The rhubarb has another two flowers forming so when they get a bit bigger and are easier to remove I shall do so. I never had one flower on it last year and now that is three this year.

I have managed to get hold of a cutting from an Elderberry bush. I am going to see if I can get it to root and if it does I shall plant it in the side border of the front garden. I'll keep you posted on that one.

The girls have been fairly quiet today, they had their scraps this morning and a bucket of weeds this afternoon and are now pecking about the run until it starts to rain and then they make a mad dash for the coop. Octavia spends most of the day when she is not eating standing by the gate waiting for me to give them something. She stood on one leg for ages just looking out, daft old thing.

And finally..... It is the end of yet another week and a bottle of rose' is chilling. I hope you all have a great weekend wherever you are and what ever you may be doing x




2 comments:

  1. It was a bright morning here yesterday but the rain soon returned in the afternoon. I'm going to direct sow some flower seeds at the allotment this year in the hope of having a few cut flowers for the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Jo this weather is very up and down! I done direct scattering sow last year and has some lovely sunflowers and dahlias.

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone, thanks for visiting. I'd love to hear your comments and thoughts on anything contained within my blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...