Saturday 25 February 2012

Greenhouse gardening

Now that the greenhouse is here and being put together it has set me thinking about what I am going to grow in it. In my little plastic greenhouse I only grew two cucumber plants and two tomato plants, these did not do very well as it was hard to control the temperature. I'm alright with starting seeds off in there and once they needed to be potted on I kept them in the cooler summerhouse and this worked out fine. As I want to get it as right as I can I have been looking at some books on greenhouse gardening The Greenhouse Expert by Dr. D.G. Hessayon is the one I am thinking of purchasing as I already have his The Vegetable Expert (Expert books) and this is the only gardening book I own. I have found it invaluable for answering most of my growing vegetable questions. It has easy to follow instructions and simple language from sowing right through to storing your produce. It has a great section on pests that each vegetable may get and how best to deal with them. There are plenty of colorful pictures concerning the pests which makes them easier to identify for a novice like myself. So far I have sown aubergines, tomatoes and chilies that I will be growing in the greenhouse. Once everything is set up I will soon see how much space I have and then I can make some decisions on what to grow in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for visiting. I'd love to hear your comments and thoughts on anything contained within my blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...