Monday 27 February 2012

Hair raising Idea

Well the nice weather did not last long, it has been rather chilly here today. I haven't been doing much in the garden today as I have been busy preparing for my trip. Today I was at the hairdressers when I saw all the hair on the floor I had one of those light bulb moments. About two weeks ago someone had posted on twitter about how good the human hair was for the garden,especially beans as a mulch to keep moisture in and as a fertilizer. I did a little bit of research and found that this was true. I said to myself next time I'm at the hairdressers I'll ask for the hair and of course as usual it had gone right out of my head until I saw the pile of hair. I know the saloon owner quite well and they all know I'm into gardening, however when I asked for the hair and explained they did give me a strange look! So I brought home my bag of hair and have turned it into the soil where I am going to grow my beans.

It is amazing what things are thrown away in to landfills that are in-fact excellent fertilizers for your garden. There's coffee grinds from the local coffee houses, and most will give it to you if you ask and we also have hair from the hairdressers if you can dare to ask. Horse manure from local stables are often happy for you to bag up and take away. Asking neighbor's who have garden pets like rabbits or guinea pigs will be happy for you to take the soiled bedding away. Put all this in your compost bin along with kitchen waste, grass clipping and any other garden vegetation will result in a great compost for your garden and the best bit of all is that it's free!

For further reading on using hair in the garden Human hair in the potting shed has a great article on hair and the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for visiting. I'd love to hear your comments and thoughts on anything contained within my blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...